Making this cake for the 2nd time tonight. My nephew, who loves Boston Cream Pie, loves this cake. Tomorrow is his birthday and he requested that I make it. Easy and delicious! Did not change a thing.
BOSTON CREAM CAKE
This Boston Cream Poke Cake recipe was actually suggested by my husband, whose favorite donut happens to be a Boston Cream donut (it’s my favorite too!). The Boston Cream donut was actually created after the famous Boston cream pie, which isn’t a pie at all, but a cake! The rich, classic dessert consists of a vanilla custard sandwiched between two yellow cake layers, and topped with a chocolate ganache or frosting.
If you’re a fan of either the Boston Cream Pie or donut, I promise you will like this recipe. It has all the same components: yellow cake, vanilla cream (pudding in this case), and a chocolate topping (also pudding in this recipe). And the best part is that it only requires 3 box mixes, plus the few ingredients needed for the mixes. Talk about simple!! The hardest part is patiently waiting for the poke cake to refrigerate for 30 minutes, you know what I mean? 😉
HOW TO MAKE BOSTON CREAM POKE CAKE:
- Make cake as directed in a 9×13 pan. While the cake is still slightly warm, use the end of a large wooden spoon and poke several holes into the cake.
- Make French Vanilla pudding as directed. Wait a minute for it to thicken up a little more and pour over cake, making sure it fills all the holes.
- Make Chocolate pudding as directed. Pour over the cake and the layer of vanilla pudding, using it as a frosting or ganache. TIP: This step may be easier if you refrigerate the cake for a little while after pouring the first layer of pudding.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to let all the pudding set, and serve cold. ENJOY!
It really is that simple! And like I said, it tastes just like a Boston Cream donut, but in the form of a moist, creamy cake. Poking the holes in the cake allows the pudding to seep into the cake and give it a really nice consistency. That’s what makes poke cakes SO delicious!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
Boston Cream Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (plus box ingredients)
- 2 small boxes (3.4 oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 4 cup Milk
- 1 container Chocolate Frosting
- Prepare cake in 13×9″ pan according to box directions.
- Allow to cool until just slightly warm.
- Use spoon handle to poke holes evenly across cake.
- Combine milk and pudding mix and whisk until well blended.
- Pour pudding over cake making sure it gets down into holes.
- Refrigerate cake for several hours to allow pudding to settle and set up.
- Open frosting container and remove foil seal.
- Microwave for 15 seconds and stir. Repeat this until frosting is pourable.
- Pour over pudding layer and spread with spatula to cover completely.
- Refrigerate for at least several more hours.