A method I have been using for over 30 years, you will never boil corn in just water again once you try this, this method produces a very tender and sweet corn on the cob, I promise! — do not add in any salt to the water as it will make the corn tough.
6 -8 ears corn husks and silk removed
1 cup milk
1/4 cup whipping cream ; unwhipped (or use 1-1/4 cups milk)
1/3 cup sugar (can use more sugar)
1/4 cup butter (optional ; add to the water)
- Fill a large stock pot half full with water (use a large enough pot to hold all the corn).
- Add in the cream, milk, sugar and butter.
- Bring to a boil, then add in the corn cobs.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow corn to cook for 7-8 minutes or until just tender, depending on size of corn try not to over cook the corn as it will become tough.
- Using long tongs remove and place on a plate or in a bowl, then cover with foil until ready to serve.
- Serve with butter and salt to taste.