- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Homemade cherry pie filling or 1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 semi-sweet baking chocolate bar shaved
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 block cream cheese, room temp
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 2 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper and spray the edges with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together in large bowl with hand mixer (or stand mixer) sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Add in eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth. Don’t worry if the batter is runny, it is supposed to be.
- Pour batter evenly into pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until center springs back when touched and toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5-10 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- If you are making homemade cherry pie filling now is the time to do it, otherwise skip to next step.
- To make your frosting beat your whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- In another bowl beat your cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until combined and fluffy. Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream mixture until combined, set aside.
- To assemble cake, layer one of your cake layers to turntable or cake stand.
- Top with about 3/4-1 cup of your frosting and 3/4-1 cup of your cherry pie filing, place other layer on top.
- Spread about 3/4 of the rest of the mixture over tops and sides of cake until covered.
- Press your shaved chocolate onto sides of cake.
- Place remaining frosting into piping bag fitted with your favorite decorating tip and pipe around top and sides of cake.
- Spread the remaining cherry pie topping on top of the cake.
- Cut and serve, refrigerate any remaining cake.
Source : allrecipes.com