- 4 uncooked strips center cut bacon, diced
- 1 lb hot Italian poultry sausage, casings removed (I use Wegmans poultry sausage but you can use chicken or turkey sausage)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 24 oz (1 ½ lbs) potatoes, cubed into bite-sized pieces (I used baby yellow potatoes so I did not peel them but if you use Russets or some other types you may want to peel them before chopping)
- 3 oz baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups fat free half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a skillet over medium heat and add the diced bacon. Cook the bacon until it starts to sizzle and then stir occasionally, continuing to cook it until the bacon pieces are crisp and red/browned. Remove the bacon pieces to a paper towel and dispose of the bacon grease.
- Bring a stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add the sausage. Cook for a few minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown a bit. Once the meat starts to break apart, add the onion and garlic and stir together. Continue to cook while breaking up meat and stirring regularly until sausage is cooked through and onions are softened.
- Pour the chicken broth into the stock pot and increase heat until broth comes to a boil. Stir in the cubed potatoes and wait for the soup to return to a boil. Reduce the heat back to medium and allow to boil for 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Stir in the baby spinach for 1-2 minutes until wilted. Stir in the half and half and allow to heat through another 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot and garnish with the bacon pieces from step 1.
Source : emilybites.com