Yield: 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (8oz)
- 2 medium bell peppers, any color, finely chopped (8oz)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (26oz) container of Pomi chopped tomatoes (a 28oz can of no-salt-added crushed tomatoes should work too)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Prepare the seasoning mix: In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, cinnamon and cayenne. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a very large, deep saucepan (I used a deep 14-inch skillet) over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef, the onion and the bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, breaking up the beef into smaller chunks, until beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the seasoning mix. Cook, stirring until well incorporated into the beef mixture, 1 minute.
- Add the pumpkin puree, the crushed tomatoes and the salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Serve, if desired, with a dollop of sour cream, guacamole, and/or grated cheddar.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 330; Fat: 19g; Carbohydrates: 16g; Sugar: 3g; Sodium: 535mg;Fiber: 5g; Protein: 23g