- Servings: 8
- smart points: 3
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cups wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (cranberries, currants, raisins, etc.) (optional)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk (for brushing)
- extra sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Mix together the dry ingredients (oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt).
- 3. Cut in the butter and combine using a fork until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- 4. Add the dried fruit to the dry mixture if desired.
- 5. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (half-and-half, buttermilk, vanilla).
- 6. Gradually add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and combine until a soft and sticky dough is formed.
- 7. Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 2-3 times. Do not overwork the dough.
- 8. Roll the dough into a 6-8-inch circle and cut into 8 pie-shaped slices (or you can experiment with other dough shapes such as circles to maximize the number of servings).
- 9. Bake in the oven for about 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the scones are golden-brown.
- 10. For a golden color and extra crunch, brush the top of the scones with buttermilk. Sprinkle some sugar on top and broil for a few minutes, turning and adjusting as necessary.
Nutritional Info :
- Calories: 153
- Total fat: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 8.5 mg
- Sodium: 214.3 mg
- Total carbs: 23.1 g
- Dietary fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 4.4 g