HOW TO TOP BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
- Grated cheese (my personal favorite – and what I’ve done here in these photos)
- Buttered panko breadcrumbs (feel free to add some herbs to this as well)
- Bacon pieces/panko breadcrumb combo
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE MAC AND CHEESE
This recipe doesn’t bake long at all, but I’ve actually baked it longer before, and it’s still every bit as delicious! Most baked Mac and cheese recipes call for it to be baked 15-30 minutes. My kids aren’t huge fans of the cheesy “crust”, so I bake mine at 325, but 350 or even 375 work as well. It’s a very forgiving dish!
Of course, you could alternately not bake this mac and cheese at all, and just combine the pasta with the cheese sauce if that’s what you prefer
I really hope you all give my family favorite mac and cheese a try… I’m sure you’ll love it as much as we do!
- 12 oz dry macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup light cream about 10-12% MF
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can condensed cream of cheddar soup optional
- 10.75 oz
- 4 cups sharp cheddar divided
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain and run under cold water.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and let cook 2 minutes while stirring.
- Slowly whisk in cream, milk, mustard powder onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese & 3 cups cheddar cheese until melted.
- Add soup if using.Toss cheese sauce & macaroni noodles together.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 18-24 minutes or until bubbly.
- Do not over cook.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON OR OPPEN BUTTON BELOW FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!