I haven’t come across a single person in my life who doesn’t enjoy a big slice of yummy pie. Whether it’s peach pie, chocolate pie or meringue pie, we all have that favorite we could keep on eating until it was all gone! My number one favorite has always been a traditional, Southern buttermilk pie. Yummy! It just doesn’t get any better than this simple, lip-smacking delicious pie that has wow’d the crowds for decades.
I can’t remember the first time I had this pie but I think it must have been at my grandmother’s house. Her mother was originally from the South, so my childhood was filled with all these Southern casseroles and pies to die for! Let me tell you, they sure know how to cook and bake in the South!
I hope my future grandkids will be as excited about this pie as I am. This is one tasty dessert I intend to make often, for as long as I can still hold a whisk in my hand! A slice of this pie doesn’t really need any toppings, but occasionally I add a dollop of whipped cream if I happen to have some. Believe me, it’s going to sweep you off your feet!
Originally from my grandmother via my mom. I’ve adjusted it through the years to make it more tart, because that’s how my family likes it.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
To Make Lemon Filling:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
To Make Meringue:
- In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.