To those of you who are new to the fudge making business, let me give you some tips: (Source: yammiesnoshery.com)
- Fudge is a type of candy. It must be cooked to a specific temperature to achieve the correct texture. In this case you will need to cook the sugar to “the soft ball stage” (234ºF). If you don’t have a candy thermometer, you can check if the candy has reached the correct temperature by placing a spoonful of the boiling mixture in a glass of ice water. After it has cooled for a moment, you should be able to form the sugar into a soft ball. Some people just time their fudge, but I feel like the time is different every time for me.
- Grainy fudge is caused by not cooking it to the proper temperature. Another way to assure that your fudge will not be grainy is to add a little corn syrup or marshmallows to stop the sugar from crystallizing.
- I use chocolate chips for this recipe. I had many batches of fudge turn out with a clumpy, weird texture because the chocolate didn’t melt well. To avoid this, I pour the hot sugar mixture over the chocolate chips instead of adding the chocolate right to the hot pot. This way the chocolate doesn’t get overcooked by the hot pot.
- Make sure you use evaporated milk and not sweetened condensed milk. These are two totally different things. If you don’t have evaporated milk, heavy cream is a better sub.
- You can use either marshmallow creme or marshmallows. I feel like a like the results are a little better with the creme, but both are great.
- You can pour the fudge into any container or pan you want. It’s best if you can line it with parchment because it makes removal easier. I like to use an 8×8 inch square pan, but you can use different sized pans, mini loaf pans, even muffin tins!
- I keep this stored in the fridge, but it’s really good room temp because it’s a little softer that way.
- This recipe is easily doubled. If you double it, you might want to use a slightly bigger pot and put it in a 9×13 pan.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE BUTTON BELOW FOR THE RECIPE AND INGREDIENTS AND DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON FACEBOOK.