I noticed a lot of readers were making a mistake with the recipe and they seem to be the ones giving this recipe a lower rating. If you read the instructions you see that you are NOT supposed to heat the mixture until after everything is all mixed together. Some were talking about hardened pieces of egg, etc. Do not add the eggs after heating. Mix it all before and heat it all at the same time. Then you will have this turn out as it should. – Mareva Kearl Gardner
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 c milk
- 1/2 c cocoa
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 baked pie shell
- Mix sugar, flour, salt, and cocoa in top of double boiler.
- Stir in milk and cook for 15 minutes over hot water, stirring constantly until thick.
- Add egg yolks and cook 3 minutes.
- Add butter, cool.
- Add vanilla and pour into baked 9″ pie shell.
- Make meringue from remaining 3 egg whites, using 6 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- Spread on pie and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes.