- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 ounces each)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup Marsala wine (Note: The recipe didn’t specify whether to use dry or sweet marsala. Betty Crocker suggests sweet marsala, but I inadvertently used dry. Several commenters have complained that the flavor of the wine was overpowering for them. If in doubt, I would use ½ cup chicken broth and ¼ cup marsala instead.)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley, for garnish, optional
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Coat slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray. Combine the olive oil, shallot and garlic in bottom of slow cooker.
- In a shallow dish stir together the flour, salt and black pepper. Pound the chicken to an even thickness and coat it with the flour mixture and add to the slow cooker. Scatter mushrooms over chicken and add the Marsala.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until the chicken is tender. To thicken the sauce, turn the slow cooker up to HIGH. Combine the cornstarch with 2 teaspoons water and stir it into the chicken mixture. Cover and cook until the sauce has thickened 10 to 25 minutes. Stir in parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.