- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter for pan
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup honey*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a 9-inch glass pie plate with butter.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Gradually whisk in the honey, vanilla, lemon zest, almond flour, kosher salt and baking soda.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the blueberries.
- Use the same spatula to transfer the batter onto the prepared pie plate. Once batter is in the pie plate, gently stir to distribute the blueberries evenly.
- Bake until puffy, browned and set, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack about 20 minutes, then slice and place the slices directly on the cooling rack for 10 more minutes to allow extra moisture to evaporate.
- Keep leftovers for up to a week in an airtight containers in the fridge. Place the cake slices on paper towels, to help absorb moisture and allow the cake to remain fluffy. Gently heat leftover slices in the microwave (10 seconds per slice) before serving.
*For a low-carb option, try using Nature’s Hollow sugar-free honey substitute (xylitol based). I haven’t tried it myself, so if you do try it, please let me know how it turned out! Nutrition for this version: Calories 194; fat 13g; saturated fat 2g; carbs 7g; sugars 2g; sodium 192mg; fiber 2g; protein 8g.
Serving size: 1 slice; Calories: 233; Fat: 13g; Saturated fat: 2g;Carbohydrates: 23g; Sugar: 19g; Sodium: 193mg; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 8g