EASY WHOLE-WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water (105-115°F)
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour or all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 1 medium clove garlic, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Yellow cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted ripe black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños
- To prepare dough: Stir water, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl; let stand until the yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Stir in whole-wheat flour, bread flour (or all-purpose flour) and cornmeal until the dough begins to come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, mix the dough in a food processor. Process until it forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.)
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
When you’re ready to make your pizza, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust the top with flour; dimple with your fingertips to shape into a thick, flattened circle—don’t worry if it’s not perfectly symmetrical. Then use a rolling pin to roll into a circle about 14 inches in diameter.
- Preheat grill to low. (For an oven variation)
- To prepare topping & assemble pizza: Place beans, peppers, garlic, chili powder and salt in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
Sprinkle cornmeal onto a pizza peel or large baking sheet. Roll out the dough (see Tip) and transfer it to the prepared peel or baking sheet, making sure the underside of the dough is completely coated with cornmeal.
- Slide the crust onto the grill rack; close the lid. Cook until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using a large spatula, flip the crust. Spread the bean mixture on the crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Quickly layer on cheese, tomatoes, scallions, olives and pickled jalapeños.
- Close the lid again and grill until the cheese has melted and the bottom of the crust has browned, about 8 minutes.
8 g fat
4 g sat
46 g carbohydrates
14 g protein
6 g fiber