Mom used to make short and sweet baked beans all the time when I was a kid. I grew up eating and loving them at the same time. However, it’s quite different with my family now. My husband is not too fond of baked beans (he eats them though; they’re just not his favorite). And my twins do not like baked beans. Yes, they would eat a couple of spoonfuls, but after that they will just eat the other servings on their plate. I am not sure why because I love them so much. I remember eating a lot of it and my mother had to stop me from getting too many servings.
Last time, I was craving for sweet baked beans so I called my mother to ask for her recipe. It was something that I don’t cook a lot because of the situation, so it’s not something that I remember how to cook. Mom was helpful. She also gave me a bit of an advice on how to make the kids love baked beans. She said that all they needed was the perfect recipe and they will surely fall in love with them. Well, my husband did love Mom’s recipe. He managed second servings this time. And I could also see improvements in my kids’ reception of baked beans. They were able to finish what was on their plates! One point for Grandma and Mom!
How To Make Baked Beans:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (16-oz) cans pork and beans
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 to 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces and cooked
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large saucepan brown the ground beef. When beef is about halfway done add the onions and bell peppers. Continue to cook until beef is done and the veggies are soft.
- Add the pork and beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar to the mixture. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the top of the casserole. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let dish sit for 10 minutes before serving.
You May Also Like:
- Baked Beans Recipes
- Easy Baked Beans Recipe – They are sweet, tangy, and loaded with plenty of protein.
Brown Sugar and Bacon Baked Beans – These baked beans are semi-homemade and the perfect blend of sweet, savory and smoky!
- Canned Baked Beans Recipe – They are sweet, tangy, and loaded with plenty of protein.