|1⁄2 lb lean ground beef|
|1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed (not the fully cooked kind)|
|1 egg, beaten|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1⁄2 carrot, minced|
|1⁄2 cup cooked rice|
|1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped|
|1⁄2 tsp salt|
|1⁄4 tsp black pepper|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|6 cup chicken broth, (I usually use nonfat and low sodium)|
|1⁄2 cup onion, chopped|
|3 stalk celery, cut in chunks|
|16 oz can diced tomatoes, (with nothing added)|
|1⁄2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp oregano|
|1⁄2 cup cilantro|
|1 large zucchini, sliced|
|1 black pepper|
- Make the meatballs first: Combine everything and mix thoroughly.
- Form meatballs and roll between your palms (Otherwise, meatballs will fall apart in the soup).
- You should make around 20 to 24 meatballs, set aside.
- Combine chicken broth, onion, celery, tomatoes and their liquid, cumin, oregano and cilantro leaves in a large pot.
- Bring to broil, and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drop meatballs in the soup (Make sure the soup is slightly boiling, the meatballs need to be cooked quickly).
- Return to simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- You could top the soup with cooked rice, or just by itself.
Source : allrecipes.com