- ¾ lb. ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (23.5) oz jar of Francesco Rinaldi Traditional No Salt Added pasta sauce
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- ½ cup of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1½ cups elbow macaroni or short-tubed pasta
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil, divided
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until the onion softens.
- Add the ground beef to the onions, breaking up with a spoon and cook until no longer pink.
- Next add the salt, pepper and oregano to the beef and stir to combine.
- Now you can pour in the chicken stock and the pasta sauce, scraping the bottom of the pot as you stir.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until it’s all mixed in and then add ½ of the fresh basil.
- Pour in the pasta, stir and let cook for another 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with the leftover basil.
Your favorite spaghetti sauce can be substituted, or even a can of crushed tomatoes with a little more seasoning works!
*If you want this soup for leftovers, cook the pasta separately and then add to the soup with each bowl.