Beef stew is a hearty and flavorful dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It is a perfect meal for a cold winter day. Beef stew is made with beef, vegetables, and a rich broth, and it is slowly simmered until the meat is tender and the flavors have melded together.
The following is a basic recipe for beef stew:
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef cubes and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, bay leaf, and red wine (if using). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Stir in the peas and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
- For a richer flavor, brown the beef cubes in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add more or less red wine to taste.
- For a thicker stew, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold water to the pot.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, grated Parmesan cheese, or chopped fresh parsley.
Here are some ideas for variations on the basic beef stew recipe:
- Add different vegetables: Other vegetables that would be good in beef stew include potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and mushrooms.
- Use a different type of meat: Lamb, pork, or venison would all be delicious in beef stew.
- Add different spices: Other spices that would be good in beef stew include garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Use a different type of broth: Chicken or vegetable broth could be substituted for beef broth.
- Serve with different sides: Beef stew would be delicious served with crusty bread, mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.
- Make it a one-pot meal: Add the potatoes and other vegetables to the pot with the beef and broth, and cook until everything is tender.
- Make it a slow cooker meal: Brown the beef cubes in a skillet, then transfer them to a slow cooker with the vegetables, broth, and spices. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the beef is tender.
Beef stew is a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. With so many different variations to choose from, you are sure to find a beef stew recipe that you love. So next time you are looking for a delicious and satisfying meal, give beef stew a try!
Here are some additional tips for making the best beef stew:
- Use a good quality beef chuck roast. This cut of meat is well-marbled and will become tender and flavorful when cooked slowly.
- Don’t overcook the meat. The beef should be fork-tender, but not mushy.
- Add plenty of vegetables to your stew. This will add flavor and texture to the dish.
- Use a flavorful broth. This will help to enhance the flavor of the stew.
- Simmer the stew for at least 2 hours. This will allow the flavors to develop and the meat to become tender.
- Serve the stew hot with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.