This recipe can be used to make two 8-inch cake layers or a 9×5-inch loaf. If making a loaf cake, bake for 60 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk, 1/2 cup orange juice, oil, beaten eggs, and 1 1/2 teaspoon orange zest. Set aside.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix in sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make Orange Butter Frosting: Cream butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 tablespoons orange juice to bring to spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla and 1 teaspoon orange zest.