- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 bananas, sliced into rounds
- ⅓ cup dark rum
- 1 box of Vanilla wafers
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- additional vanilla wafers for garnishing top
- Combine the egg yolks, milk, and half-and-half in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and whisk well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, flour, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large skillet until melted.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon and cook over medium heat until bubbly.
- Add bananas and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rum and ignite with a long match. Baste the bananas with the syrup until flames subside. Let cool slightly.
- In a 3-quart baking dish or 9×13-inch pan, layer ⅓ of vanilla wafers on bottom of dish.
- Top with ⅓ the banana mixture and then ⅓ of the custard. Repeat layers 2 times. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream until foamy. add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Spread on top of banana pudding.
- If desired, decorate top with more vanilla wafers.
Source : allrecipes.com