This was my mothers recipe almost to the “T”. a couple of things i have learned from making it over the years: 1. before putting on the cream cheese freeze the crust for a few hours will make your life a lot easier 2. adding vanilla adds an excellent little flavor (it does get hidden amongst the flavors but you can tell its there) 3. soaking the bananas in the pineapple juice (don’t get the heavy syrup kind) will keep the bananas from turning brown before you get to serve it. plus the pineapple/banana juice you just made tastes good too!
- Beat the butter until fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well. Then add the confectioners sugar, a cup at a time, and beat well after each addition. Spread on top of the crust.
- Spread the pineapple tidbits on top of th butter/sugar/egg filling.
- Next, layer sliced bananas on top of the pineapple.
- Spread the Cool Whip over the banana layer, then dot with cherries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This dessert is so easy to make, and is so delicious, you will be tempted to make it every week. But don’t. Your hips and your blood sugar will thank you.