- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 2 medium zucchini (you can also use squash)
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or paprika (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for greasing and brushing
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes for 10-15 minutes. You do not want to overcook the potatoes because you will still shredded and bake them. Drain water and let potatoes cool until they are comfortable to handle. You can place them in cold water to cool if you wish then dry them very well.
- Grate zucchini on the large side of the grater then place it on a paper towel or dish cloth and drain as much water as you can out of it. Next grate the potatoes.
Place the grated zucchini and potatoes into a medium bowl, add about 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon chili powder. Gently combine all the ingredients with your hands while trying to keep the shape of the grated potatoes.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease very well with olive oi/cooking spray. Use your hands to form small cylinders with the mixture. Use about 1 tablespoon per tater tot. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to allow them to firm up.
- As soon as you place the tots in the freezer go ahead and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush the top of each tater tot with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle each one with salt. Bake tater tots until browned a crispy, about 30 minutes flipping halfway though.
Source : allrecipes.com