Yield: 4 servings
- 6 part-skim mozzarella sticks, cut in half crosswise
- 12 slices uncured bacon
- Remove the cheese wrappers. Place the cheese sticks on a wax-paper-lined tray and freeze for at least four hours. I froze them overnight, the night before I made them.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Partially cook the bacon: place two paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Place four slices of bacon on top. Cover the bacon with two more paper towels (to prevent splatters). Microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining slices. This renders some of the fat and will help the bacon crisp up faster, preventing the cheese from melting away during prolonged baking.
- Wrap each half mozzarella stick with a slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick.
- Place the wrapped cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until cheese just starts to melt, 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Oh Bite It. The tip for pre-cooking the bacon came from a commenter on Huffington Post.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 2 cheese stick halves; Calories: 158; Fat: 10g; Saturated fat: 5g;Carbohydrates: 1g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 456mg; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 14g;