This refreshing and easy coffee cake recipe will be the star of your next brunch. The only thing that could make this fruit coffee cake better? A dusting of powdered sugar or dollop of whipped cream!
TIPS AND TRICKS ON HOW TO MAKE THE BEST LEMON RASPBERRY CAKE
- If you don’t have a springform pan you could also use a normal pan and these parchment paper rounds with tabs to help you lift your cake easily out.
- For the best flavor use freshly squeezed lemon juice. You need 2 lemons to get 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- It’s easier to use a stand mixer for this cake because the butter and sugar need to be creamed together for several minutes.
- This cake keeps fresh covered at room temperature for about 3 days.
- This recipe works best with fresh preferably room temperature raspberries! Frozen raspberries might work but your cake will take longer in the oven and might not bake through completely. I have tried this recipe with frozen berries and it worked but many readers had problems with using frozen berries so I recommend using fresh raspberries.
- Make your own cake flour at home: Take one level cup of all-purpose flour, remove two tablespoons, and then add two tablespoons of cornstarch back in. Sift the flour to distribute the cornstarch well before adding it.
- Streusels are by far my favorite crumb topping for coffee cake! Especially German Streusel which has a cookie-like texture and is crunchy on the outside but soft where it touches the cake. It’s like combining a cookie and cake. So tasty AND super easy to make! Make sure to follow the instructions because German Streusel has a different texture than American Streusel, you don’t want it to be sandy!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ c. milk
- ¾ c. sugar
- ½ c. sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ c. butter, softened
- 1 large Phil’s Fresh Egg
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- (optional: ½ tsp. lemon extract)
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon peel
- 1½ c. fresh raspberries
- 1 c. sugar
- ⅔ c. flour
- 8 Tbsp. (1/2 c.) cold butter
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
In a medium bowl, combine 2 c. flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Beat ¾ c. milk, ¾ c. sugar, ½ c. sour cream, ¼ c. butter, egg, lemon juice, lemon extract (if using), and lemon peel until creamy. Add dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Fold in raspberries
- Spoon batter into a 9 or 10 inch springform pan and sprinkle with crumb topping (see below).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Combine ingredients for glaze and drizzle over baked coffee cake.
- Combine 1 c. sugar and ⅔ c. flour in a bowl.
- Cut in ½ c. cold butter until mixture is crumbly.
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES AND DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON FACEBOOK.