1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie*
5 Granny Smith apples**
2 Golden Delicious apples
1 Red Delicious apple
1/2 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup unsalted butter***
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1. Peel, core, and very very thinly slice all the apples. You want your apples to be in slices about 1/8 inch thick. (I find that a food processor with the slicer blade works well and fast for this task.) Place apples into a large bowl.
2. Mix apples with lemon juice (to prevent browning), cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Mix well so that the spices cover all the apple slices.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan at medium-low heat. Stir in flour to form a paste. This will take some time but keeping it at medium-low heat will help you get a beautiful caramel topping. Add white sugar, brown sugar, and water; bring it to a boil at medium-low heat. Reduce temperature and simmer for at least 5 minutes or when the caramel coats the back of your spoon.
4. Meanwhile, butter the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan lightly. (Please use glass or ceramic pie pans — aluminum foil pie pans will not hold up the weight of the apples.) Place one pastry crust into bottom of the pie pan.
5. Mound apples on top – your apples should create quite a heap. Create a lattice work crust with the remaining pie crust.****
6. Place your pie on an aluminum-foil covered cookie sheet. (Please, for the sake of your hands and your cookie sheet, cover it with aluminum foil because the caramel WILL drip off.) Gently pour the caramel over the pie crust. Pour slowly and steadily so that the caramel evenly covers the entire crust.
7. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes or until the pie is a lovely golden brown.
Source : allrecipes.Com