Amish Friendship Bread starter is a sweet sourdough starter that is the gateway to countless buns, rolls, quick breads, risen breads, muffins – you name it. It has a unique flavor all its own, and we love the process and sentiment behind it as much as the delicious baked goods it can create.
Amish Friendship Bread Recipe
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- Day 1: In a small bowl, combine the warm water and yeast and set aside until bubbly, 5-10 minutes. In a large non-metal bowl mix together flour and sugar, before stirring in the milk and yeast mixture.
- Cover loosely and allow to stand at room temperature until bubbly. Pour into a one gallon ziplock bag and seal. Allow to sit at room temperature.
- Day 2: Mash the bag.
- Day 3: Mash the bag.
- Day 4: Mash the bag.
- Day 5: Mash the bag.
- Day 6: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Mash the bag until well mixed.
- Day 7: Mash the bag.
- Day 8: Mash the bag.
- Day 9: Mash the bag.
- Day 10: Pour starter into a non-metal bowl and add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Mix well with a non-metal spoon. Divide out 1 cup portions of the starter into separate 1 gallon ziplock bags. Keep one bag for yourself, and give the rest away to friends along with this recipe!
Adapted from: The Friendship Bread Kitchen.