Light and fluffy Ambrosia Salad is a classic dessert made with Cool Whip and sour cream tossed with fruit, coconut and marshmallows.
WHAT IS AMBROSIA SALAD?
Ambrosia Salad is a marshmallow fruit salad that is a classic southern dessert. It has many variations, some use Cool Whip, others use whipped cream, some have sour cream, some use yogurt, pudding or cream cheese. All have fruit and most include pineapple, mandarin oranges, and sweetened coconut. Other ingredients can include maraschino cherries, bananas, strawberries, and pecans.
How ever you make it this delicious fruit salad is a simple side dish…or dessert, to make for holiday parties and summer potlucks.
HOW TO MAKE AMBROSIA SALAD:
- In a large bowl combine Cool Whip and sour cream, stirring until combined.
- Gently fold in fruit-flavored marshmallows, shredded coconut, pineapple, and maraschino cherries, and pecans (if using).
- Add mandarin oranges last and gently fold in.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours preferably overnight before serving.
TIPS FOR MAKING AMBROSIA SALAD
- Top ambrosia with chopped nuts for decoration. Try pecans, pistachios, walnuts, or cashews.
- Maraschino cherries will turn the whipped cream red. If you’re making this fruit salad the day before, add them right before serving.
- Do not over-mix the salad as it will cause the dressing to deflate.
HOW LONG IS AMBROSIA SALAD GOOD FOR?
When working with whipped cream you need to be mindful of storing and serving. If you want something more stable to keep out longer, swap for store-bought Cool Whip which can stay out for up to 2 hours without melting.
- Serve: Do not leave Ambrosia salad out for more than 2 hours, the whipped cream dressing may start to melt after 30 minutes, so it is best served out of the refrigerator fresh.
- Store: Ambrosia salad will last in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, wrapped tightly.
CAN YOU MAKE AMBROSIA THE NIGHT BEFORE?
This salad tastes the best when it’s served cold, so it’s perfect for making the night before and refrigerating until you’re ready to serve.
CAN YOU FREEZE AMBROSIA SALAD?
- Do not freeze Ambrosia Salad fully prepared and then defrost to serve as pictured because the ingredients will release water as they defrost and this will cause the whipped cream dressing to break.
- You can freeze ambrosia salad in a baking dish, wrapped tightly. Then use an ice cream scoop and eat it like ice cream.
- If you want to make this salad ahead of time, I would make the whipped cream and freeze it or use store-bought Cool Whip instead for a quicker preparation. Then when you’re ready, defrost in the refrigerator, and add the fruit pieces right before serving.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
1 bags mini marshmallows
1/2 cup sour cream
8 oz. cool whip
1 lb. can fruit cocktail
1 (2 lb.) canned mandarin oranges
Extra maraschino cherries; halved, to liking.
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts