- ¼ cup (64g) creamy roasted almond butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- In a small bowl, whisk the almond butter and egg until smooth.
- Add the maple, vanilla and salt, whisking to incorporate.
- Gradually whisk in the cocoa powder, then add the baking soda.
- Using a spatula, scrape the batter into two 8-ounce coffee mugs, dividing it evenly. Each mug should be about half-full.
- Place the two mugs in the microwave. Microwave for 1 minute. The batter will rise quite a bit while you microwave it, then deflate a little. Remove the mugs from the microwave and allow the cakes a few seconds to settle. They should not be liquid anymore, but they should appear very moist. Resist the temptation to microwave more (unless, after settling, the batter is still liquid) – a chocolate cake is always better gooey than dry.