No need to form the meat into patties, or to keep an eye on them as they fry or grill. And no grease splatters to clean up!
- 1 lb. ground beef (85/15 or 80/20)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 slices sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili.
- Gently press the beef mixture into an ungreased square 8-inch pan.
- Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes. A meat thermometer should read 160 degrees F.
- If there’s a lot of cooking liquid in the pan, you can drain some. I like to keep it and allow some of it to get absorbed back into the burgers as they rest.
- Top the cooked meat with the cheese slices. Return the pan to the oven and bake just until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to rest and set for 5 minutes. Cut into four squares and serve.