9 Amazing Bread-less Sandwich Ideas
1. BARBECUE SALMON LETTUCE WRAPS
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 tbsp fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 oz smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and sliced
Place the lettuce leaves on a plate and spread them with cream cheese, lemon pepper seasoning, and the smoke salmon. Top with onion, put the cucumber slices among the leaves, and top with tomatoes.
2. RED BELL PEPPER SANDWICH
- 2 slices bread (sourdough used)
- 2 tsp vegan buttery spread –
- 5 slices of tomato
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup pepperjack Daiya cheese shreds
- 1/4 cup (handful) of fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 thin slices roasted red or yellow pepper
- pinches of black pepper
Spread the sides of the bread with a buttery spread. Place one slice of bread, the butter side down on the Panini. Add the toppings, top with the other slice, butter side up. Grill for a few minutes.
3. PALEO SWEET POTATO BUNS
- ½ cup sweet potato puree (100g)
- 100 grams coconut flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 30 grams tapioca flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 eggs
Wrap the sweet potato in foil and roast for an hour. Puree the potato using a blender. Grease the pan with coconut oil and preheat the oven to 350F. Mix the coconut flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, tapioca flour, and salt.
Whisk the sweet potato puree, melted coconut oil, lemon juice, honey, and coconut milk. Then, whip the eggs until foamy, using a stand mixer. Pour the liquid mixture while whipping. Then, sprinkle the dry mixture over the liquid one, and mix with a spatula. Pour the batter into muffin pan and bake for half an hour. Allow them to cool, slice, and enjoy as a sandwich.
4. GRILLED EGGPLANT SANDWICH
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (8 ounces), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf crusty bread (10 ounces), such as ciabatta, sliced in half lengthwise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 14 fresh basil leaves
Clean and lightly oil the grill before heating it. Mix the garlic with a tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush this oil on the cut sides of the bread and grill for a few minutes. Top with cheese.
Brush the eggplant with oil and season. Then, grill for 15 minutes. Put the eggplant on the cheese. Repeat the same with the tomatoes. Layer them on the eggplant, top with basil, and enjoy as sandwich!
5. GLUTEN FREE TAPIOCA WRAPS
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g) tapioca starch/flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg at room temperature, beaten
- 2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 7 oz low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
Simmer the milk for a few minutes, turn off the heat, and stir in the tapioca flour, salt, and oil. Let it cool down before running it through a food processor. Then, add the beaten egg and pulse until the mixture becomes stretchy and thick. Add the grated cheeses and pulse once again. Remove the dough from the food processor, divide it into equal pieces, and freeze them for half an hour.
Heat a casket and place each of the pieces on a flat surface sprinkled with tapioca flour. Divide the dough into 5 pieces, dust each of them with tapioca flour, and roll out into a circle-8 inch in diameter.
Put the first cycle of dough onto the skillet and cook for a few minutes or until the wrap can be removed with a spatula. Repeat the procedure with the remaining pieces.
6. PLANTAIN TORTILLAS
- 3 medium Plantains, peeled
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- ½ tsp salt
Blend the plantains, egg salt, and coconut oil and blend until well combined. Drizzle water until the batter reaches the wanted consistency. Pour the batter in a small circle on a parchment paper, place in the over, and bake for ten minutes. Remove from over, flip, and bake for additional ten minutes.
7. CUCUMBER SUBS
- Low sodium Turkey lunch meat
- Laughing Cow cheese
Simply remove the flesh of the cucumber and fill it up with the ingredients above.
8. TOMATO AVOCADO BURGERS
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 lb / 453 gr grass fed organic ground beef
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ + ¼ teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ripe avocado, divided
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayo
- A handful alfalfa sprouts
Cut the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds along with their membrane. Mash half of the avocado until smooth, and then add the mayo, lime juice, yogurt, and cumin. Add the remaining avocado along with ¼ tsp salt.
Season the beef with salt, chili powder, and black pepper. Divide it into four portions and shape them into thick patty. Grill the patties for a few minutes on each side.
Grease a skillet with olive oil and cook the halved tomatoes until brown. To make burgers, put a large pinch of sprouts on the bottom of the tomatoes, top with the beef and two tablespoons of avocado sauce. Place the other half of each tomato on the top.
9. PORTABELLA HALLOUMI BURGERS
- 4 portabella mushroom caps with stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 thick slices tomato
- 2 thin slices halloumi
- 1 handful basil leaves
- Sea salt and pepper
Wash the mushrooms, heat the grill, and mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Put the mushrooms in the mixture and when the grill is hot, grill them for a few minutes. Add the halloumi and grill on each side for about two minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
You should assemble the burger using the mushrooms at the bun, hammoumi as burger, and the tomato and fresh basil leaves on the top. Wrap and enjoy!