- 1, 4-5 pound whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sea salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- cooking twine, as needed
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and let it come up to room temperature.
- Make sure the cavity is empty and rinse under cool running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, salt and pepper and whisk together to combine.
- Rub seasoned oil mixture all over the outside of chicken and inside the cavity, then tightly truss chicken to seal the cavity and prevent it from drying out while cooking.
- Place chicken breast side up in a large roasting dish and drizzle any remaining olive oil over the top.
- Roast for 50-60 minutes, or until thickest part of bird (usually the thigh) registers 165º F.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before carving.Note: save the bones for making stock later.
Source : allrecipes.com