I first tasted this rich fruit salad at my wedding reception almost 40 years ago. The ladies who did the cooking wouldn’t share the recipe at the time, but I eventually got it. I’ve made it for many meals, and our daughters copied the recipe when they married. —Eileen Duffeck, Lena, Wisconsin
REVIEWS 24 HOUR FRUIT SALAD
- This was excellent! I’m not a big fan of fruit salad, but I loved this. I took another reviewer’s suggestion and added the bananas when I added the whipped cream and pecans.
- OMG! This is MaMa’s salad! (with the exception of the bananas and pecans) I don’t know of anyone else ever making this! This is a favorite in my husband’s family. We fight over the leftovers!!! Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing!
- This is the most awesome salad my family went crazy over it. This one will replace my regular Christmas salad. Such a lovely old fashioned salad. ( To James: any white or apple cider vinegar will work, I personally used the white vinegar)
- Same…at least 45 years ago I made it from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I found it best to add the bananas the next day when folding in the whipped cream. Will have to make this again soon.
- This was our Christmas salad passed down by my grandmother in Oklahoma. She used cherries instead of bananas. For people who say to use cool whip, it is not the same at all. The dressing partially dissolves the marshmallows, and the salad is even better the second day (although it usually doesn’t last that long).
- The salad tasted good. I was disappointed in it though. I followed the recipe exactly except following one reviewers suggestion of replacing whipped cream with cool whip. You couldn’t tell what fruit you were eating. The bananas and marshmallows just disintegrated. The pudding became almost foamy and overpowered the fruit. If I make it again, I would definitely increase the quantity of fruit. The bananas didn’t have a chance to turn brown.
- My mom always made this. She put coconut in it. She did not put vinegar, eggs or sugar in it. She added bananas right before serving so they would not turn brown.
- What variety of vinegar is used? My standard ‘go to’ vinegar is ‘Apple Cider’ but I’m not sure for this recipe. I think most peoples ‘standard’ is White Vinegar…so I would just like to clarify that issue as there are some MANY vinegar varieties on the market to choose from since I have NEVER heard of this recipe before so I don’t have a clue. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
24 HOUR FRUIT SALAD RECIPE
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
1 3⁄4 cups milk
1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained DRY (very important)
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained DRY
1 cup green grape, halved
1 cup red grapes, halved
1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry
1⁄2 cup marshmallows
On the day before you need the salad, whip the cream. You can sweeten it with a bit of sugar if desired, but it’s not needed.
Mix the pudding mix and milk together until thick.
Fold the whipped cream and pudding together.
Fold the fruits and marshmallows into the cream and pudding mixture.
Source : allrecipes.Com